Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday's Seven Songs

Week five of Sunday's Seven Songs! I would be lying if I said it's getting harder to remember to do this, especially because they aren't getting that many views. I just keep telling myself that it's good practice that I write every week, even if there is no one reading. This is better then giving up my blog all together. And there's a bunch of concert and album releases coming up, so I promise that this blog should be getting more interesting. 

Anyways, the Academy Awards are on so I'm a little distracted writing this. With that said, here are the seven songs:

Imagine Dragons' new album, "Smokes and Mirrors," came out last Monday. I have to say that I don't love it as much as their last album. It's lacking the energy that made their first album stand out. However, I think that this band is extremely underrated. I've read some jokes here and there that poke fun at people who are still fans of this group, but I don't understand. They are an extremely talented bunch. I'm sure the more I listen to their new album, the more it will grow on me. "Polaroid" definitely was the first song to stand out to me. I love the tempo and sound of this song. I might to another blog post this week dedicated to what I though of the rest of this album.

"Some Nights" by fun. will always be one of my favorite albums. There is such a deep meaning in every one of the songs that I find so inspiring and so unique. From the first time I heard this album in 2012, "One Foot" has always been my favorite song. When you really take the time to listen to the lyrics, it's amazing how simple yet thoughtful it is. This album is really about living and finding yourself. I hope the band comes out of hiatus soon, however I can't complain about what some of them have been doing in their spare time which leads me to the next song.

Jack Antonoff is the lead guitarist of fun., but he also is the lead singer and songwriter of Bleachers. It wouldn't be fair for me to compare the two bands because they're too different. Bleacher is best known for their radio his, "I Wanna Get Better." I think that song is probably the best on the album because it has a great meaning, not to mention that it is extremely catchy which makes obviously made it a hit. I thought I would make "You're Still a Mystery" the selected song because while it might not be as catchy, it still has a really good and simple sound. 

American Candy was released a couple of weeks ago and I could have sworn I already covered this in a previous Sunday weekly post, but it looks like I didn't. American Candy is a clear throwback to the early days of The Maine, the more poppy and carefree band. This song has almost a complete opposite vibe from the dark and sad, yet thoughtful "Forever Halloween" album. While I loved the last album, American Candy created some high expectations for the rest of the album. I cherished the early days of this band because of their songs were just so much fun and uplifting to sing along to and I believe their new album will bring back that feeling.

I have listened to a lot of Sum 41 this week and it's amazing to listen to how the band's sound evolved over time. "All Killer No Filler" remains my favorite album of theirs; however, "Screaming Bloody Murder" is definitely an album worth talking about. Their last album released in 2011 definitely shows that the carefree skater punks had grown up. Taking a darker and more serious turn, this album addresses some deep themes that all pack a powerful punch. "Reason to Believe" reminded me of an anthem song, like a song that makes you want to scream the lyrics on the top of your lungs.

I'm a new fan of this band and the reason that made me look them up is that they are coming in town soon (I'm not seeing them though). Their album "Hold My Home" was released last October. I'm not too sure why this song stood out to me the most, but I find it catchiest and it's been stuck in my heads a few times this week. I can't say that I'm totally hooked on this band, but there's no denying their talent. 

I know this song seems out of place, but I recently got a record player and this week I went record shopping and this was one of the vinyls I picked up. I can't say that I have listened to a lot of Stevie Nicks, but she is so talked about so I had to give her music a try. I can totally understand why she is the legend she became. The music is something you can just start playing, close your eyes and tune out everything else. It isn't always that easy to find music like that so I'm glad I decided to bring home this record.

------------------------------------------------


One week from today Tom Delonge releases "Songs Without A Home," an album with songs that were originally meant for Blink 182, but we know what happened there. 

Academy Awards are wrapping up soon so I'm going to finish watching that and call it a night. 

Until next time,
Nikole xx


P.S. Happy Birthday shout out to an incredibly thoughtful, inspiring, and talented musician, Kurt Cobain, who would have turned 48 years old this week. He is one of the most legendary people in music and he'll never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment