Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday's Seven Songs (Week Four)

February feels like it never ends. My least favorite month will probably always feel like this one because it just feels too long even though it's the shortest month. Anyways.... I watched the 1999/2000 show Freaks and Geeks which was unfortunately cancelled right after it got started. It's honestly one of the best shows I have seen even though it's brief, but it is just so relatable. I highly suggest it to everyone, especially high school-ers, and you won't have to worry about getting hooked because there's only one season anyways. Plus, it has young James Franco, Jason Segel and Seth Rogan. Another show I have been completely hooked on is Parks and Recreation. Literally everything done and said on that show is absolutely hilarious. I can't even begin to explain what makes it so funny - just go watch it for yourself.

Well, anyways, here are the seven songs for the week:

1. Lock Me Up by The Cab
My sister started to play a couple songs in the car and it made me go rediscover their music. First of all, I have to mention that Alexander DeLeon (singer) seems like one of the coolest people ever. I follow him on Twitter and Instagram and he always seems to be enjoying his life and what he does and every day he seems to do something fun - whether it's working on music, hanging out with friends, going to Disneyland. The Cab came out with an EP about a year ago and I think they are working on new material, but don't take my word on that. I love the vibe of this song, just as much as I love the lyrics and the way you can't help swaying to the beat of the song.

2. Uptown Funk (Cover) by Fall Out Boy
I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on this, but I feel like Uptown Funk is extremely overrated. I feel like I was one of the last to hear this song, even though every other song on every radio station is playing it. I'm not saying it's a bad song, it's fun and catchy, but I'm getting tired of it. When I heard this cover by Fall Out Boy, it made me enjoy the song 100000x more. It's a guaranteed mood lifter, just like the tumblr caption said when I found it. Patrick Stump's vocals are perfect for this song and I can just picture the band playing this song which makes me smile. Pete Wentz, get the stretch. I find it impossible now not to like this song after hearing this.

3. Walking Disaster by Sum 41
I can't even remember when I started listening to this band and it's hard to believe that they have been playing since I was born!? "Walking Disaster" has always been one of my favorite songs of there's, despite it's sad theme. It's such an anthem song. I can't remember what got me listening to them this week, but I've had this song and their album "All Killer No Filler" on repeat. Honestly, it's probably because 5SOS just announced that they have been writing some songs with Deryck Whibley (vocals, guitar). Actually, Deryck announced last summer that he was working on some new Sum 41 stuff, so I'm still waiting to see if we're going to be getting anything out of that soon.

4. Let's Get Started by Dylan Gardner
A couple of days ago I got my new assignment for the last issue of my school's magazine. I didn't really care what the story was on, as long as it was about music. My teacher had some promotion stuff for an artist named Dylan Gardner, who I have never heard of before. That just made me more excited though. It's a new challenge, having to write about someone that I'm not already attached to and have seen live (compared to my previous stories on the 1D tour and Run 2 Cover). This 18-year-old multi-talented musician is extremely skilled at what he does. He was recently signed with Warner Bros. and his song "Let's Get Started" currently has over three million views on Spotify. He reminds me of a young, but modernized John Lennon (based more on looks and what I got from him from his music video, but not so much musically).

5. 18 by Anarbor
It honestly amazes me how much good music comes out of Arizona. Anarbor is an alternative rock back and it's hard not to fall in love with every one of their songs. I can have their latest album, "Burnout," on repeat for weeks. The album covers a broad range of emotions and I love when artitsts decide to throw a few alternative acoustic versions at the end. The acoustic version gives a deeper meaning to the song, but the original version is something that you can really rock out to. The beat is simple and the lyrics are catchy and easy to learn. I'm crossing my fingers that the band comes out of hiatus soon.

6. Addict with a Pen by twenty one pilots
I just found out that Chipotle (yes, the Mexican food place) is hosting their own free music festival that features twenty one pilots and some other musical acts. I think the point of the festival is to teach everyone how healthy and organic Chipotle is or something which is great, but the idea of a free music festival gets me on a whole new level of excited. Every song this band has written and the way they perform the show with so much passion speaks to me every time. There's a lot I can say about this song, but I really just suggest clicking on the link to the song and watching. Then you'll see what I mean about them performing with passion.

7. Come Sail Away by Styx
I mentioned earlier that I watched a show called Freaks and Geeks. So the show is based in the 80s and it has one of the coolest soundtracks of any show (which I had to look up since Netflic decided to replace much of the original soundtrack with cheap replacements). It really tries to capture the musical spirit of the decade and now it has me listening to bands like Styx. It's easy to forget just how amazing rock and roll bands were in the 80s. Last night I spent some time listening to Styx and it's so easy to get lost in this kind of music. I think I might be rediscovering some old classics this week.

----------------------------------------------------

I made it a whole month with this weekly update! I know it doesn't get as many views as my album and concert reviews did, but I have to keep blogging somehow. As spring approaches, more tours and new albums are coming around and I promise you will see me blogging about that. Unless something comes up last minute, my next concert will be the Pot of Gold festival on March 13-15. Following that will be Blink 182 featuring Matt Skiba at the Musink festival on March 22. Before then, Tom Delonge's new album is scheduled to release on March 1. Lots of new stuff headed our way.


Until next time,
Nikole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment