Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday's Seven Songs (Week Three)

Happy Sunday! I have a new update for my upcoming shows which I am super excited about. Tonight, I saw Run 2 Cover open up for Escape the Fate and The Family Ruin. I always love supporting local bands. Today I got tickets to go to Alt AZ's "Festivaltaz" on April 10 which includes performances from Death Cab for Cutie and Panic! At The Disco!! So far I have a concert every month until August. My life basically revolves around concert countdowns, but I'm not complaining.

With that said, here are my seven songs for the week:


1) Some Boys by Death Cab for Cutie

I know some songs by Death Cab for Cutie, but when I decided earlier this week that I will be going to the music festival hosted by Alt AZ, I felt I should get to know the band some more. I am so happy I made that decision. I've had their latest album, "Codes and Keys," on repeat all week. Their music reminds me of the early days of The Black Keys and also someone else who I just can't put my finger on. "Codes and Keys" has a relaxed vibe, but it doesn't put you to sleep. Listening to the album makes me a lot more excited for the music festival!

2) Lakehouse by Of Monsters And Men

My friend recommended this song to me in the beginning of the week and it really stuck in my head. Everyone knows the radio hits from this band like "Little Talks" and "Dirty Paws," and I feel like this song could have been a big hit just like the other two. The chorus is energetic, but not in the typical "gym playlist" energetic way. The album is really good to listen to in the morning to wake you up. I was disappointed to find out that the band only has one album that's been released (and I haven't heard of anything happening in the studio as far as I know).

3) Act My Age by Hoodie Allen

I first heard Hoodie Allen on the radio with his song "All About It" featuring Ed Sheeran. So I decided to give his album a look and it turns out I totally love it. It's not often that I find someone in the rap genre that I like. I'm honestly shocked that Hoodie Allen isn't more well-known than he is now because I can see a lot of his songs becoming big radio hits.

4) Stray Heart by Green Day

Green Day will forever and always be one of my favorite bands. There's never a time where I don't feel like listening to this band and the past few days I decided to put their 103 songs on my phone on repeat. There's a song for every emotion - from soft and thoughtful like the classic "Time of My Life" to the angsty (is that the right word?) and energetic "Know Your Enemy." "Stray Heart" leans more to the soft side, but I can easily say that it is one of my favorite GD songs. I can't wait to find out what the band has in store for 2015.

5) Someday by Run 2 Cover

I'm actually blogging from the concert right now as I write this because my sister, friend and I mostly came for R2C and the other bands aren't really our taste. R2C changed their sound for the show tonight and I totally loved it. They are currently touring with loud ("screamo"- I hate that descriptive but I don't know what else to call it) bands and Christian seemed to have picked up a bit of that technique in vocals. They also did covers of Bowling for Soup's "1985," Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" and Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean."

6) Budapest by George Ezra

The first time I listened to this song, I wasn't much of a fan; however, the more 93.3 played it, the more it grew on me and now I love it. I constantly have it stuck in my head and I'm singing along with Ezra on the radio. I'm curious now to look up what other songs Ezra has released because the vocals and lyrics of "Budapest" are really chill and I don't mind listening to it on the radio everyday on the way home from school now.

7) When Songs Collide - "Fat Lip" and "Feeling This" 

I stumbled upon this mashup by accident on tumblr and I'm completely obsessed with it. It combines the guitar riffs and drums and bass of "Fat Lip" with the vocals from "Feeling This" and it makes a oerfect combination. Tumblr is a great place for finding new music or mashups or anything really.

-------------------

It's really weird blogging from a concert - I feel guilty, to be honest. I promise I am almost never on my phone during a concert because it's all about being in the moment, but it's hard to be in the moment when you can't sing along to the songs. Right now people are moshing and I can't really understand what's being sung. Anyways, this post probably has more mistakes than usual because I'm typing from my phone, but there was no way I was going to miss my weekly post. I also realized on my way to the show that I'm missing the Grammy awards tonight! So it looks like I'll have to get caught up on who won in the morning. 

Well, that's all for this Sunday's Seven Songs! I hope you liked my music suggestions. 

Until next time,
Nikole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment