Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Legendary // The Summer Set



Two weeks ago, The Summer Set re-released their latest studio album, "Legendary," with some extra b-sides and an alternate version of "Lightning in a Bottle." The first release was debuted on April 13, 2013. Forming in 2007, The Summer Set is an Arizona-native band that features frontman and vocalist Brian Dales, Jess Bowen on drums, John Gomez on piano and guitar, Stephen Gomez on bass, and Joshua Montgomery on guitar. They're a pop band with extremely catchy beats that makes you want to dance and sign along. Starting in September of this year, they announced that they are working on a fourth studio album. I had the pleasure of seeing them during Warped Tour this year and that was the first time I really got into their music. I listened to the album Legendary a few times after that and didn't press play again until this week. I don't think I fully appreciated the album when I first heard it - or maybe it just means more to me right now. Now I can't get the words that make up this great album out of my head.

~

This is the intro to the first song of the album, "Maybe Tonight." I can't recall any memorable album intros that begin like this. I love it. To be honest, this may be my favorite part of the album - or at least one of them. This intro isn't sung, either, it's said. The introduction automatically draws you in. This album is far from some formulaic, autotuned pop album made from greedy "artists." It has a message and the band wants this message told. 


Cause there's gotta be something out there
If I fly high enough I'll find it somewhere
So I'll hold my breath till I float away
Maybe I'll come down someday
(Someday)

One of the slower songs on the album, but it caught my attention. It's hopeful. I won't argue that some of the themes on this album - break ups, make ups, never giving up - is a bit cliche, but that doesn't stop it from being a great song. I really like this song because "it" is never specified. "It" can be whatever you want it to be. Based on the context of the other songs, "it" can be love. Or maybe "it" is adventure, a new opportunity. Maybe "it" means breaking out of an everyday routine so you float away until you find something new to discover. It's really up to the listener to decide what "it" is.

We caffeinate our blood, talk religion and our families
Graduate then separate, throw our caps in the air
(Rescue)

I'll admit it, this songs makes me emotional. It's not that I loved high school - I actually can't wait to get away. But that doesn't erase the fact that in five short months I'm going to be graduating, enjoying my last summer at home, move into my dorm in a city, and begin college. It's a little overwhelming writing that all out, but I'm excited. "Rescue" is more about being there for a friend than the line I pulled from the song. I actually wish this song got more credit because it can be an anthem for any best friends. When you need me I'll be there, a friend in the eye of the storm

When I was a kid, I'd fly around and Peter would mention
Don't be afraid to die, 'cause to die would be an awful big adventure
(Legendary)

THIS IS LEGEN - wait for it - DARY. LEGENDARY. Okay, when the chorus is filled with references to "How I Met Your Mother," how can this not be my favorite song from the album? I feel like this song can be taken in a few different ways. Whenever anything mentions Peter Pan, you know there is an element of refusing to grow up. I just need to accept, friends grow up and lovers will lie. Like many of the problems in HIMYM, the song is also about wanting to find your "yellow umbrella" (in other words, finding that special person you eventually want to settle down with). The term 'settle down with' might be a bit strong, but Ted did settle down with his yellow umbrella so... This song can also be simple - everyone wants to be legendary. It's not until the last chorus when he sings, we all wanna be legendary to somebody, that makes you rethink it isn't that simple.  

I wanna fall in love for once
I want to find my place
This big city life ain't the fairy tales I'm told
(One Night)

This is the first bonus song from the deluxe version of the album and it takes quite a turn from the rest of the album. Despite the cheery sounds of the instruments, the lyrics are sad. I know sad is a terrible descriptive word, but I can't think of another word. The lyrics talk about how it only takes one night to mess everything up, yet it also only takes one night to fix things. Then the chorus switches to the scene of friends in the back burning holes in their heads, saying 'This is the good life, wish we were dead." It's ironic, isn't it? If life is good, then why would you wish you were dead? The song suggests that there is more to it than just that. The lyric I quoted above is from the second verse, and the vocals seem to pick up a bit, suggesting some hope. In a way, I can see what it's trying to say. The band went from living in Scottsdale, Arizona to spending most of the time in Los Angeles. Of course the 'big city life' is often overemphasized and many people seem to bite off more than they can chew. Despite the new challenges, it's one foot in front of the other. One night to fix it all.

~

This album proved harder to break down than I thought. It's one thing to listen to the lyrics and try to understand them, and it's a whole other thing to read the lyrics like a poem (something I try to do when I want to figure out what it's trying to say). I feel like I just over-analyzed a great album, but I was dying to blog about something and this album has been on repeat for the last few days. Anyways, after months passed and I picked this album back up along with its new b-sides, I gained a new respect for the album.

It's not all that uncommon to not get attached to an album the first time you here it. Actually, it's probably really common. Sometimes you have to wait for the music to come to you (that sounds cheesy, but just go with me). I think everyone can understand the feeling of hearing an old song and loving the feeling of knowing that you remembered every single word. The rediscovery of an album or artist is almost as great (or maybe even greater) than the first time you pressed play. I can't wait for the deluxe version of Legendary to feature in my amazing roadtrip playlist, it'll fit perfectly.

~

I hate to say it, but I might not blog so much in the next few weeks. In less than 48 hours, I will be picking up my best friend from the airport. The day after Christmas, we roadtrip to California and I know it will be the most amazing vacation ever. Disneyland, Hollywood, Venice, Huntington, San Diego. I can't even explain how much I'm looking forward to this. I'll try to blog, but no promises.

(Side note: I'm still trying to get in the hang of blogging. I like the style I'm using right now, though. Bringing up an album, pulling out some songs and trying my best to explain them. I just hate making something more than it is - it makes me feel like I'm in my AP Lit class - so I'm trying hard not to do that. I know this is far from what you would find in something published, but I don't plan on any of this getting published. Either way, I love that I'm actually putting words to how I feel about some of the music I'm listening to.)

Until next time,

-Nikole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment