Saturday, December 6, 2014

Happy Birthday to The Maine's "Pioneer"

Happy 3rd birthday to a very special album by a very special band: The Maine's Pioneer. I've blogged about The Maine a couple of times before, but I haven't fully dedicated a post to them and it's about time I did. The Maine are a local band based in Tempe who have been active since 2007 but have gained more recognition as they toured during Warped Tour. Bassist Garrett Nickelsen and drummer Pat Kirch started the band while they were in high school and later guitarists Kennedy Brock and Jared Monaco along with vocalist John O'Callaghan would join the team. Their first full-length album, Can't Stop, Won't Stop, was released in December of 2007 and was characterized by pop-y guitar riffs and vocals. Their lyrics got a more serious in 2010 with their second album, Black & White. The band is currently in the studio putting together their fifth album.


Three years ago today, The Maine took a giant step in their career and released their third album, Pioneer. This marked a huge change in the direction this band way going. Ditching the pop sounds that were featured in their first album and played a small role in the second, Pioneer showed the seriousness of this band. The Maine transitioned into their alternative rock/indie tone that carries into Forever Halloween (2013). Reaching number 90 in the Billboard 200 and selling 12,000 copies in the first week, the album was no failure. Good Love (Pioneer the B sides) was later released that included 7 more songs. 8123 (an artist collective that includes The Maine) recognized the album's anniversary on instagram and commented that "this album proves that if you want to do something you can make it happen with a little hard work."

I'm not going to go into detail about each song, but I do want to talk about some of them that really stand out to me (from the first released version of the album). So this is just my rough idea of what each song is intended to mean or why it stands out. I'll try to keep them somewhat short, but it's kind of hard for me to stop writing once I've started.

Some things are out of my hands
I'm what time and consequence have made me
Sit back and watch the world explode
3, 2, 1 here come the fireworks, baby

"Identify" introduces the album with a subtle guitar riff and John's vocals softly singing the first verse. Then after "here come the fireworks, baby," the drums enter and the guitar gets louder. That's the pattern for the rest of the song. Gentle verses, then screaming the chorus. It's a song that stands out and describes the band at the time. They're building their identity. It's not worth "standing in line," it's time to "identify." I also need to point out the lyric "I bought the last plane ticket to the end of the world" because it emphasizes that the time to identify is now.

I'm feeling pretty dirty, baby
Forgive my sins.
I got the feeling you can save me honey,
My heroine.

This song has a very recognizable opening and the first verse (above) draws you into the song. It's pretty self-explanatory. This girl is his heroine - his drug - something he is addicted to and could never get enough of. I like the double meaning of heroine. While in the song, it is mostly intended to be the drug, but heroine is also defined as a "woman admired for her noble qualities." Both definitions make this heroine an irresistible person.

Some days, they taste like lemonade
Some days can feel like razor blades
I wish I could float away, some days

A little more cheery sound than the first three songs on the album, however it is serious just like the rest. The chorus (above) is powerful and is definitely packed with a lot of emotion. It says what is true for everyone - some days we feel on top of the world, some days can feel agonizingly painful. Then there are days where you wish you could float away, leave it all behind. The line "I hate to say I told you so" makes me think that he has been trying to make a point and it's finally coming across. 

I am selfless, I am selfish,
I'm anything that I want to be.
This is violent, this is honest, 
It's the anthem for a dying breed.

There's a list of ideas of what this could mean in my head and I think every one has a bit of truth in it. Since there are quotations around "us," it makes me think that this song is meant to have multiple meanings. First, I thought of "us" as in a relationship. He doesn't want to break up and this is his plea for her to stick around. I don't really think that is it, although there are some lines that back that idea up. I also thought it could mean "us" as in the band. The song starts with "I am anything you want me to be" then it transitions into "anything I want to be." The band started off as any other pop band, which is probably what many people wanted. It would definitely be something the radio would play. However, the band realized that they will be what they want to be, even if they won't get the same attention. The dying breed could be the genre of music which is definitely different from the "mainstream" music found on the popular radio stations these days.

Looking for misery, but she found me
Lying naked on the floor
(Stay away, sweet misery)
I was headed insane, the devil told me his name
But he's not welcome here, anymore

Possibly my favorite song on the album for many, many reasons. The first time the lyrics really sunk in for me was when I watched the music video. It left me speechless. There's so much emotion that goes into this song, probably more than any other song on this album. Misery is a very intense emotion - it's something deeper than just being sad. Misery is personified in the song and is able to view the speaker at his lowest. I have a lot of questions about the some of the meanings in this song so it's hard for me to go into detail. For instance, why was he looking for misery? And then once "she" finds him, he tells her to stay away? I have some ideas but too difficult and wordy to type it all out now. I love how with every succeeding chorus, John sings louder until the point where he is desperately calling out to Misery.

Turn it up, it's my song
I can't sing, but I'll sing along
I can feel it in my bones
A little rock, a little roll

Finally a more cheery song. Well, I don't think I would call it cheery, but I love message of the song which is crystal clear - don't stop listening to rock 'n' roll. The guitar reflects the old feeling of real rock n roll (although I don't think you can define "real" rock n roll - it's something you feel in your bones like the song says). It's a song that can be related to as well. I love those songs that you can feel. The lyrics and vocals, the drums, the guitar, the bass, the piano/keyboards - everything fits together and rolls along. I can definitely relate to the line "I can't sing but I'll sing along." I know I can't sing, but that will never stop me from singing along.

Oh my gorgeous Arizona
Here's to gettin' caught with you
I was runnin' with the wolves
I was howlin' at the moon

I'm not going to go really into this song because, well, there's a lot to say about about a 15 minute song. Right now as I'm writing this I'm enjoying the incredible guitar solo that really picks up at 2:38. I like that this song is at the end of the album. It feels like the final toast. All I know is I'm still waiting for my sun to shine. There's a lull that is broken at about the 8 minute mark. It's soft. It kind of feels like a giant sigh. 


Happy birthday, Pioneer.


------------------


I feel like I haven't updated my blog in a long time. Acdec competitions were all last week and I find out if I make the team on Monday. Then I have to deal with the ACT and finals coming up in the next two weeks. I promise I'll write as often as I can. I really enjoyed writing this post so I'll probably something like this again. :)

Until next time,

Nikole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment