Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday's 7 Songs (Week 1)

I'm going to try something new for my little blog that will hopefully get me to write more. Each Sunday, I'll list the top 7 songs that I've been listening to for the past week. (Hopefully, I'll think of a better name for this weekly thing later.) It will probably be a mixture of songs I've had on repeat and new songs I discovered this week. I might change this idea or edit it as I go, but I really wanted to have something that encourages me to regularly update (kind of how youtubers are known to post a new video a certain day of the week). Anyways, here are the 7 songs.


1) Something's Gotta Give by All Time Low

All Time Low released their first single for their new album "Future Hearts" about two weeks ago and I have had it on repeat ever since. It's absolutely amazing. Everything from the lyrics (which are a mixture of motivated and sadness) to the energy produced from the instruments. It's one of those songs that you play in your car or in the shower and you can't help but scream the lyrics. If this is any indicator to how the rest of the album will sound, then I know I won't be disappointed. Their music video has an interesting plot twist, but besides that, it is just as great.

2) Favorite Record by Fall Out Boy

Last Tuesday, Fall Out Boy released their new album "American Beauty/American Psycho." I considered dedicating a post completely to that album, but for some reason I've put it off. I'll admit that I understand why they used the songs they did to promote the album because they were honestly the better half of the album. That doesn't mean the other half was bad. I've had the album on repeat all week, so I can promise the album isn't bad. Out of the new songs released on Tuesday, I've listened to the "Favorite Record" the most. As soon as you press play, the intro beat has your attention. I don't think you can get any sweeter than by comparing someone you love to the song that's been stuck in your head, to every song you've ever loved.

3) Go Go Go by Sleeping With Sirens

A few days ago, Sleeping With Sirens announced the release date of their new album "Madness" and the pre-order came with their single "Kick Me" as well as a new song, "Go Go Go." This song reminds me of early SWS which makes me really happy. The vocals are clear and it's just a fun, upbeat song. Even the music video is filled with the same humor that could be seen in their other videos. The band doesn't sound like they are trying to be something they aren't. I wasn't as thrilled with "Kick Me" as I am with this song. This song has gotten me even more excited for the rest of the album (which comes out on March 17).

4) Up 2 U by Walk the Moon

It's the vocals in this song that really catch my attention. The way Nicholas Petricca (the vocalist) starts the chorus with a little scream It's up to you! has me pumped. I've been happy with the entire "Talking is Hard" album. This song and "Sidekick" really stand out to me, though. There isn't any song on this album (and previous albums that I know of) that sounds anything like this song. I love when artist's throw songs like that in an album. It can either end up being a good or bad thing because sometimes listeners don't want change but it really comes down to what the artist wants to produce and I'm extremely glad Walk the Moon decided to include that song.

5) Shirtsleeves by Ed Sheeran

I listened to a lot of Ed Sheeran today because I was in the study zone and I had a good amount of homework to get done. I'm not sure if there is a particular reason why I play this song (and "Photograph") more than others, but I do. This song, like a lot of his other songs, is really mellow and relaxing. It's a really sweet song, as well.

6) I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic! at the Disco

I blame my sister for this one. I'm not too sure why she's had this song on repeat, but since she has, it's been stuck in my head all week. It's one of those songs where I think everyone knows despite whether they realize who the band is or what the song is called. This song is only a sneak peek to how talented this band really is. In my last post I mentioned that P!ATD have an album in the works and they haven't released any information on it yet, but I'm still hopeful.

7) So Much Better by Eminem

I can't even explain why I've had this on repeat. Over winter break, Kaitz and I played Eminem on repeat for hours and I haven't listened to him as much these past couple of weeks, but there are still some songs I can listen to over and over. Listening to it makes me really miss winter break though.

---------


I realized that this list is really good to show all the different kinds of music I listen to. I laughed just looking at how I can skip from Fall Out Boy to Ed Sheeran to Eminem. The more I wrote this post, the more I liked the idea about Sunday's 7 Songs. The reason I started writing tonight was because 1) I haven't blogged in two week and I miss it a lot and 2) I was trying to finish up my story for the next issue of the magazine and I cannot word it the way I want to. I thought it was kind of like a writer's block thing, but I seemed to write this pretty easily even if it took awhile for me to come up with an idea on what to write. I'll give another shot at the story tomorrow. I'm really close to finishing it, but for some reason I can't find the right words or phrasing.

Anyways, if anyone has any songs they would like to suggest for me to listen to, I would be more than happy to check them out. I love finding new music or rediscovering old music.

Until next time,

Nikole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment