Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Emblem3: Forever Together

It's been a little while since my last post but I'm trying! I'm going to start doing what I originally wanted to do with this blog which is to write music reviews. If the music isn't your cup of tea, then suggest me something to listen to and I can write about what I think. I try to cover a wide range of music though. Today I'm going to cover Emblem3's new EP called "Together Forever."

~

Emblem3
For starters, I need to say that I'm really proud of these guys. I've been a fan since their X-Factor days so this review is probably somewhat biased. If you don't know them, the band features two brothers, Keaton and Wesley Stromberg. At the end of June this year, a former third member of the band, Drew Chadwick, dropped out and the brothers really struggled. The three of them released an album, "Nothing to Lose," in July 2013. Despite their loss, Keaton and Wes have been working harder than ever and constantly update their fans with what they are up to. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to carry on when their best friend drops out of the band to peruse a solo career. E3 deserves every ounce of attention they get.

"Forever Together"
Released two days ago, E3 published their second EP and first product without Drew. It's currently #25 in the iTunes charts. Overall, I loved it. If this is any prediction of what their next album will be like, I'll be really happy. I'm going to go through each song and give a quick review of what I think of it.

1) Forever Together
There's something E3 has always done in their songs that always makes me smile and I was glad to still hear it in their newest EP. During the second verse, you can hear Keaton make small comments and hear him laugh while Wes sings. There's always small comments or conversations going on in their songs and it makes the music lighter. Wes's high notes during the last chorus were impressive especially when he didn't really get any high notes in the album. The lyrics are light and cheerful. They were smart to choose this song to title the EP.

2) Obsessed
I'm kind of obsessed with "Obsessed." From the lyrics to the vocals, I love it all. It really shows the difference between Keaton and Wes' voice by the way Keaton sings the verses and some backing vocals and Wes takes care of the chorus. The intro is my favorite part because it's just an acoustic guitar and Keaton. It flows really well into the chorus and the rest of the song.

3) Don't Know Her Name
This was really slow and mellow for E3. I'm used to their upbeat, party vibe. I like that the song told a story and it wasn't just about going to a party and meeting a pretty girl. This song really highlighted Wes's vocals in a good way. He usually - I don't want to say rap because it isn't really rap - takes care of the verses by singing quickly and that's just his thing. This song shows the different kind of music E3 are capable of.

4) Heavy
If I had to pick favorite, it would probably be "Heavy." It's the lyrics that get me. It's not about a girl, for one. They're talking about how heavy the world is. The different expectations, responsibilities, possibilities, adventures. They're all out there and they sometimes feel like they're crashing down and we wish things could slow down. The vocals on this song are just amazing, as well.

5) Love Will Be There
This song stands out because of the way Wes and Keaton alternate lines in verses. I love hearing their voices side by side because it shows why each of them are talented for their own reason. The love they are singing about isn't about being in love with someone. It's about not giving up and when "all else fails, love will be there and time will tell who really cares." This was the first song that was released in July-ish this year, right after Drew left. I like to think it's like the fans who stayed despite not knowing whether E3 was broken up for good after they lost a member.

~

I noticed that that was probably more than a little biased. I can't ignore that I like these guys and I had a feeling I would like the EP before I even heard it. Random thought: E3 did a cover of "All About That Bass" and I heard it way before I heard the original and it's one of the rare times where I actually like the cover more than the original. If you want to check it out, it's here.

Side note: I promise I mean to update my blog more than I actually do. I actually start posts then save them as drafts and never post them. They're not really about anything interesting which is why I don't post them. I want to write more music reviews (concerts, albums, singles, etc.), but then I think about how no one probably wants to read that and I have to remind myself Who cares?? I'll write what I want to write. If you read it, thank you! I think I might review "1989" next even though I've only heard 3 or 4 songs from the album so far... Also, 10 days until my next concert and 11 days until I turn 18 (whaaaaat?!?)!

Thanks if you got this far :)

x Nikole

No comments:

Post a Comment